On July 1, 1874 a provisional school was opened at Nebo with 27 students attending, and in 1875 it was proclaimed a state school. For a period between 1875 and 1884 there were gaps where there were no teachers for 3-6 months. In 1875, the schools first teacher Mrs Dwyer was terminated and the school temporarily closed.
In 1876 the school reopened with a new teacher who indicated his dissatisfaction with the buildings. Documents from the period detail that there was a cottage used, but it had no floor or windows, and lacked water supply. In December 1881 the school officially closed due to a decline in the number of students, but reopened as a provisional school in May 1882. As the shire began to increase, so did enrolments, and new demountable buildings were constructed. Due to the establishment of the school in 1874, it celebrated 125 years of schooling in 1999.